In This Issue
48 Years of Continuous Publication
Colonel Astor’s Rhinebeck and the Historic Hudson Valley was a perfect title for the Titanic Historical Society’s 2011 Titanic Heritage Tour. In the course of four days we were immersed in footsteps of yesteryear where the Astors and other notable families made Rhinebeck and environs their home. Written in four short articles we begin with an introduction to the area followed by the Astor legacy at the Church of the Messiah and the Titanic Historical Society’s Service of Remembrance. Day to day activities of the four day convention are shown in photos highlighting the many events and story of a bridge finishes the series. The Astor Bridge is one of the many road improvements Colonel Astor contributed to the town. He and Mrs. Astor opened the bridge on December 24, 1911, before their honeymoon trip to Europe.
A handy reference is printed of the personnel of the various steamship lines––White Star Line, American Line, Red Star Line, Atlantic Transport-, Leyland-, and Dominion Line in the new combine by the International Mercantile Marine Co.
Titanic Remembered in 2011 is featured by the wreath drop by the US Coast Guard/International Ice Patrol on April 14, 2011, and the flowers placed at Titanic Memorials in Southampton by THS member Kate Finnegan.
The conclusion of the biography of Titanic survivor, Renee Harris, Broadway Dame by Randy Bigham and Gregg Jasper describes Renee finally coming to terms with the public’s increasing fascination with the Titanic following the 1955 release of A Night to Remember, Walter Lord’s classic evocation of the sinking. She made friends with the author after they met as guests on the Tex and Jinks radio show during the book’s promotional campaign. While Harris might have accepted the “renewed surge of interest in the Titanic,” she was unprepared for the extent of the influence of A Night to Remember, and didn’t always welcome the attention it brought her.
A few months after the Titanic disaster an incident in New York harbor involving RMS Olympic occurred causing heightened interest. To handle a ship of 45,000 tons in a narrow channel without a rudder and without meeting with any mishap reflected great credit on the skill of Captain Haddock.
THS’s weekend convention April 20-22, 2012, is coming together. Built around the Titanic Centennial Memorial unveiling and dedication at Oak Grove Cemetery in Springfield, Massachusetts on April 21st, the programs and dinners being planned are not to be missed. Stay tuned.
INTRODUCTION TO THE RHINEBECK AREA
CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH
Astor-related stories from newspaper archives
TITANIC HISTORICAL SOCIETY AT THE CHURCH OF THE MESSIAH
TITANIC HERITAGE TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
THE ASTOR BRIDGE–THEN AND NOW
INTERNATIONAL MERCANTILE MARINE CO.
Railway and Shipping World, March 1903
REMEMBERING TITANIC SOUTHAMPTON
Contributed by Kate Finnegan
International Ice Patrol Wreath Drop 2011
OLYMPIC INCIDENT IN NEW YORK HARBOR
Compiled from newspaper archives
BROADWAY DAME: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF MRS. HENRY B. HARRIS–Part 3 Conclusion
By Randy Bryan Bigham and Gregg Jasper
Seeking articles and photos of past THS events for THS 50th birthday in 1913; what does a copy of 1898 edition of Futility look like?; thanks for a superbly organized THS convention; additional details on Otto Reuter’s medals; help identifying an old stereoview of Titanic?; seeking information on companies that built lifeboats for Harland & Wolff and Titanic.
Lusitania, An Illustrated History by J. Kent Layton, RMS Lusitania, The Ship and Her Record. Reviews by Tim Trower. RMS Titanic, “dinner is served” and RMS Titanic “The First Violin by Yvonne Hume. Reviews by John Balls.
A stylistic illustration that appeared on the cover of the defunct Collier’s Magazine of the Chelsea Piers, New York, late June 1911. Artist depiction of Olympic on the right. Kamuda collection
A hand colored postcard photo showing the park-like grounds of historic Oak Grove Cemetery in Springfield, Mass. circa 1900. The Titanic Centennial Memorial will be unveiled and dedicated here on Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 11 am. Kamuda collection